Friday, May 21, 2010

Busy in Seattle


A SASS (The Society for Advancement of Scandinavian Studies) conference made me wake up very early on one Thursday morning and fly to the other side of the country. After this 6-hour flight you wouldn't necessarily think that you're still in the same country. But there I was, in Seattle, Washington, with the merciful -3 hours time difference.

The first impression of the city was that it's like Helsinki with its windy straight streets, rainy weather and many people with a deep interest in music. (I read from LonelyPlanet that the suicide rates are also very high in that part of the country.) The architecture in the city is outstanding and brave, and new. Like the building below, it stands on one massive concrete foot and makes you think how steadily can one do that?

But the pride of the city must be this remarkable building here, one of the Seattle Public Libraries, the Seattle Central Library. We went there to listen to the interesting lecture about using film in language teaching by Mikko Taurama and Sirpa Tuomainen from Berkeley University.



The interior of the library made me think of some modern art museum.

In addition to the buildings there are many sculptors in the Seattle streetview.

Jimmy Hendrix has his own, since he came from Seattle.

Seafood is known to be very good in Seattle (one more link to the Helsinki likeness). We tried one of the fanciest seafood restaurants, which was maybe visible on the bill but it wasn't That extraordinary. Sealife has also inspired the designers in the city...



Many people bike in the city, which people like us, who love to take their red folding bikes and speed in the Central Park, find really nice.



After a 3-day trip I think I prefer the Capitol Hill neighborhood in Seattle. They have lots of small record stores and second hand shops. Plus this lovely Bauhaus café.


Public Market is the place to get fresh flowers, fish, wild cherries covered with chocolate or a pair of earrings made by a guy who had a Finnish girlfriend in the 70's and spent three weeks studying Russian in Finland. Kitos palion!


One cannot avoid noticing the Space needle, which has a restaurant on the top of it. Although one salesman told us not to eat there. So we just took a picture of it.


Experience Music Project and the Science Fiction Museum are located in this interestingly glowing building. One member of our group visited it and told that the EMP really gave the chance to try and experience all the instruments. So all the parents who are hesitating which instrument to choose for their kid to play, make a visit there before!


There were many photogenic persons around the International Fountain. No one got wet though.




I like the idea how Seattlers seem to appreciate art, design and nature. This Olympic Sculpture Park is situated right next to a noisy motorway, but still one can relax walking or resting there.


And finally, the store windows revealed some interesting details, like this butterfly dress


or these whippets!


This is for dad, who had his birthday in April. The police officer sends his greetings.


As on our trip to SF, so did the airplane trip give now a glimps on some American countryside that we haven't really experienced here. Those round man-made fields look attractive.

Dear reader, if you're interested in what I learned in the conference, just make a comment and ask. Now, we're off to bike in Central park!

E.

5 comments:

  1. I just wondered what you learned in conference:=)
    The photos were interested and Seattle too, I think

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello E
    Do you know what is the most famous band from Seattle?
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi everyone I'm Mrs. ALEKSI TAISIYA, My husband divorced me 2 years ago to live with another woman and i have tried have him back but i could not, so i try to do many things to get him back and he refuse to come back. One faithful Friday morning, I visit a forum for tips on how to get your Ex back and there i saw a lady testifying on how Dr.AKHERE helped her to get her husband back after he was tie down with a spell by another woman. Although I never believed in spiritual work I reluctantly tried him because I was desperate and i contact him and explain my problems to him, to my greatest surprise Dr.AKHERE helped me to bring back my husband after 5days and now my relationship is more perfect just as he promised. Getting your ex back permanently does not only bring back someone you love but it will also reunite your lovers feelings. My husband now treats me like a Queen and always says he loves me all the time. If you are passing through difficulties in your relationship, Doctor AKHERE can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and some other things. I can assure he's highly potent and reliable. Email him for urgent help [AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com ] or +2349057261346 .

      Delete
  3. Hi Maggie, well I got some new ideas which films to use in teaching Finnish (like Klassikko, based on a book by Kari Hotakainen). Then I listened to an interesting lecture about how the American immigrants feel about their being under the title "immigrant" in Finland. Even if they've lived there already many years and possibly learned the language, many of them don't consider themselves immigrants but rather long-time tourists. Which is probably caused by the negative connotations that the word immigrant has. That was pretty surprising.

    I also saw a clip of a beautiful short film by a Latvian film maker Laila Pakalniņa (the conference has lecturers specialized in Baltic Studies as well). There was also a lecture that compared Swedish chick lit literature with the American. The conclusion was that this prose for women has very often in the American version just one type of an ending, that is the woman finds a man, settles down, starts a family and stays home with the kids whereas the Swedish books offer different kinds of models, such as the woman can continue her career after having started a family. This is what comes first to my mind about the conference! :)

    Miranda: I suppose Nirvana? ;) Or Pearl Jam?


    Thanks for your comments!

    E.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone I'm Mrs. ALEKSI TAISIYA, My husband divorced me 2 years ago to live with another woman and i have tried have him back but i could not, so i try to do many things to get him back and he refuse to come back. One faithful Friday morning, I visit a forum for tips on how to get your Ex back and there i saw a lady testifying on how Dr.AKHERE helped her to get her husband back after he was tie down with a spell by another woman. Although I never believed in spiritual work I reluctantly tried him because I was desperate and i contact him and explain my problems to him, to my greatest surprise Dr.AKHERE helped me to bring back my husband after 5days and now my relationship is more perfect just as he promised. Getting your ex back permanently does not only bring back someone you love but it will also reunite your lovers feelings. My husband now treats me like a Queen and always says he loves me all the time. If you are passing through difficulties in your relationship, Doctor AKHERE can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and some other things. I can assure he's highly potent and reliable. Email him for urgent help [AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com ] or +2349057261346 .

    ReplyDelete