Sunday, October 11, 2009

Floria Tosca on my mind



It's now been almost a week since we went to see Tosca in Metropolitan opera. Today L showed me a Maria Callas version on Youtube and now "Vissi d'arte, vissi d'amore" ('I lived for art, I lived for love') is in my mind constantly.

So let's go back in time to Tuesday. I had read the summary of the Puccini's opera just before leaving the house. It seemed to me that the plot is, well, not too complicated to follow. I was expecting a love/criminal story with of course the Finnish star in the main role, Karita Mattila as Tosca, of whom the posters have taken over the billboards in the entire city of NY.

As we arrived to the opera, my toes all crushed by my new shoes, I was feeling curious but not overexcited by the upcoming event (I've always wondered what is it that makes ladies cry in the opera, at least the ladies in films). The critics have blamed the director of the opera, Luc Bondy, of having made the stage and settings look cold and too lame for a big opera like this... Hmm, I found, as the show started, that there was nothing bothering me. Because when the music started, it didn't need anything to be added! I hope the strong emotions evoked by the singing of Mattila didn't have anything to do with patriotisme. Maybe not, because I wasn't the only one to adore it.

So as the opera continued, I melt. The arias were really beautiful and well sung. The jealousy, the murder and the despair were credibly played in all it's dramatization. The final scene even caused me some kind of an after shock, so I was a bit dizzy leaving the seat. The only thing I didn't like in the evening, were the long intermissions. Opera is apparently not only the place to listen to music but also to meet people. Or drink or spend time in a restroom. Or whatever people do on so long pauses. With all that time I got bored and noticed that the new shoes not only caused me ache but also wholes in my tights.

Luckily the performance was so good that I forgot all the discomfort. Instead, "Vissi d'arte, vissi d'amore" doesn't seem to leave me even after one week. I'm really happy about seing Tosca here.

E

1 comment:

  1. Hi everyone I'm Mrs. ALEKSI TAISIYA, My husband divorced me 2 years ago to live with another woman and i have tried have him back but i could not, so i try to do many things to get him back and he refuse to come back. One faithful Friday morning, I visit a forum for tips on how to get your Ex back and there i saw a lady testifying on how Dr.AKHERE helped her to get her husband back after he was tie down with a spell by another woman. Although I never believed in spiritual work I reluctantly tried him because I was desperate and i contact him and explain my problems to him, to my greatest surprise Dr.AKHERE helped me to bring back my husband after 5days and now my relationship is more perfect just as he promised. Getting your ex back permanently does not only bring back someone you love but it will also reunite your lovers feelings. My husband now treats me like a Queen and always says he loves me all the time. If you are passing through difficulties in your relationship, Doctor AKHERE can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and some other things. I can assure he's highly potent and reliable. Email him for urgent help [AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com ] or +2349057261346 .

    ReplyDelete