Sunday, February 21, 2010

A few Manhattan’s peculiarities

  • Pedestrian crossing traffic lights – once there were inscriptions: green “walk” and red “don’t walk”. In the eighties they changed it – what I recognize as one more prognostication that one day English will not be anymore the one official language here. Nowadays there is the sign of the red hand for “stop!” and … the white walking gay for “go!”. And there is anything special about it until you don’t tray to say that some one has “white” light for… and fall in to the political correctness trap.
  • Beside the blind persons, it’s really rare to meet on the streets, in the parks or in the other public places the people with disabilities. Same with the people in very advanced age. You can of course notice a lot of seniors in good shape walking around, dealing smoothly with daily needs. But not the ones in the wheelchairs, or those who have troubles with finding their way, or with whatever else. Sure, Manhattan isn’t the easiest place to get old and it can be much more convenient and cheaper down in Florida. Just the commonness of this exodus seems a bit frightening.
  • Double plastic bags – The most often at the checkout in a supermarket or a bigger grocery store there is a person who is supposed to put your shopping in to the bags while you are dealing with the cashier. I know that sometimes single bag isn’t enough. That some of them are weak and you need to double it. However when you are buying five items and you get them in two doubled bags isn’t it a bit too much? You can of course try to convince the packers to do it your way – in only one bag or in one you’ve brought with you – and they will do it. There is just this uneasy feeling of breaking their routine and asking for special attention that makes it so easy to give up and bring another four plastic bags home.

L.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning from Finland. It was so nice to wake up and read once again your stories from the New York City. Fine pics also. In this year in Finland we have 100 times more snow all the winter but no free days from the school! Also very cold and windy.
    I hope your shall continue your blog. Here is at least on person who are reading it and learnig many every day things from USA.
    Have a good day and trip to SF.
    Maggie and Miranda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi everyone I'm Mrs. ALEKSI TAISIYA, My husband divorced me 2 years ago to live with another woman and i have tried have him back but i could not, so i try to do many things to get him back and he refuse to come back. One faithful Friday morning, I visit a forum for tips on how to get your Ex back and there i saw a lady testifying on how Dr.AKHERE helped her to get her husband back after he was tie down with a spell by another woman. Although I never believed in spiritual work I reluctantly tried him because I was desperate and i contact him and explain my problems to him, to my greatest surprise Dr.AKHERE helped me to bring back my husband after 5days and now my relationship is more perfect just as he promised. Getting your ex back permanently does not only bring back someone you love but it will also reunite your lovers feelings. My husband now treats me like a Queen and always says he loves me all the time. If you are passing through difficulties in your relationship, Doctor AKHERE can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and some other things. I can assure he's highly potent and reliable. Email him for urgent help [AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com ] or +2349057261346 .

    ReplyDelete